Idaho Power is committed to working with landowners along the B2H route to minimize interference with your use of the property during design, construction, operation, and maintenance of B2H. Based on your feedback, we might be able to adjust the project’s design and location.

To build, operate, maintain, or gain access to B2H, we will need to acquire rights-of-way to private property along the project route.

B2H Noise Complaint Form

What is a right-of-way?

A right-of-way allows Idaho Power to use or enter your land for a specified purpose. Idaho Power will pay landowners to:

  • Periodically access your road or land
  • Stage materials on your land during construction
  • Build transmission towers on your property

How does Idaho Power acquire a right-of-way?

Idaho Power wants to work with landowners to reach right-of-way agreements that satisfy both sides, minimize impacts to you and your property, and provide fair compensation. Our company or a contractor typically negotiates the terms of the easement, including rights to use a portion of your land, restrictions and compensation, directly with the property owner. After granting Idaho Power an easement, you can use the land in the easement corridor as you wish, as long as you honor the easement’s terms.


You will receive a one-time payment in exchange for access to build part of the power line on your property and subsequently operate and maintain it.  Idaho Power’s right-of-way agents will negotiate this compensation directly with the landowner.

Farming near the line

Idaho Power will work with landowners to reduce impacts to agriculture. For example, we might coordinate the timing of construction with you to minimize short-term impacts to your farming work. Most farming activities can continue once the transmission line is in place. Allowable uses inside a right-of-way could include:

  • Harvesting, grazing and irrigation
  • Temporary structures
  • Fences
  • Crops or fields
  • Road crossings
  • Timber production

Even after granting Idaho Power a right-of-way, you can restrict general access to your property with fences, locks or other equipment.


Idaho Power will contact you to arrange access to your property before conducting any fieldwork there. Permission to access your property is call “right-of-entry.” It does not constitute your consent to an easement.

Right-of-entry authorizes Idaho Power or its contractors to enter your property to conduct required fieldwork, including

  • Cultural, biological and archaeological surveys
  • Wetlands and weed inventories
  • Geotechnical investigations
  • Property boundary surveys.

Idaho Power will notify you at least 24 hours before arriving at your property.